My Review on "Shakepeare Wallah"

Last week, I have watched “Shakespeare Wallah” in class and now is the time for me to comment about the movie in this blog. Firstly, I am surprised when I realized that the setting of the movie is in India. It is because I feel that the setting of the movie should be in England after looking at the title of the movie. In spite of that,I feel that the plot of the story moves very slow when I find the early part of the movie is quite boring. However, in the middle of the movie, the part when Sanja is involved with two women in the story, I only start to pay attention and get to understand the play better. Furthermore, I could not really understand the languages in the movie. There are two languages are used in the movie, and I could only understand English which is the main language used by the actors. That is the sad part of it. If I can understand another language which is Hindi Language in the movie, I think that would help me to comprehend the play better eventhough it is used in the minor part of the movie . Moreover, there are variety of culture in the movie which I find interesting that are English culture and Indian culture. These two different cultures represent by different characters in the movie. For example, Lizzie, who is professional in acting a play where she put in so many efforts acting out in the Shakespeare’s play. Meanwhile, Manjula, a glamorous film star, sings her Indian songs with world-weary professionalism. For her, being popularity is important than being professional in the career.Unlike Lizzie who appreciate Shakespeare's play very much. It is sad to see that Manjula does not interested in Shakespeare’s play at all. This can be showed when she left the show earlier before the Shakespeare’s play finish. In addition, although Lizzie and Manjula are actresses, but the way they act or perform in the show are different in many ways. It is influenced by the culture which they are brought up from. Therefore, Lizzie is brought up by English culture and Manjula is brought by Indian culture. Last but not least, there is one thing that I feel upset with the movie. The film is shot in black and white. I could not have the chance to see the beautiful scenery in India and the other setting as well. I feel it would be better and rather interesting if the movie is in colour. In conclusion, the movie is interesting as it brings out the issue of different cultures in a country.

0 comments: