Teaching Literature is not an easy job…

Simulated teaching is one of the tasks in this course. Last week, some of my friends had done their simulated teaching in the class. Guess what I found out from them? I realized that teaching literature is not an easy job. There are many skills and strategies to be learned. There are few things that I have learned from my friends and I would like to share it here. Firstly, I learned that the way teacher communicates in class is important. An English teacher must be able to speak fluently. I realized that to speak like a teacher is not easy. It is because an English teacher has to master the verbal language in the classroom. For example, “That’s a good answer”, “well done”. These are some of the examples of verbal language that teacher need to know. Furthermore, teacher should repeat what students say when teacher asks them questions. For example, teacher has to say like this “what she says is…” This is to let other students know what their friend’s answer is clearly. Teacher has to share student’s answer with everybody. Besides that, teacher needs to know how to ask students questions as well. Teacher must be able to construct the questions appropriately and asks students about it. For example, “why do you say so?”, “what do you think?”, “what does it cause?” In my opinion, I feel that it is important for teacher to ask this kind of questions to simulate students to think critically. Last but not least, I learned that set induction is significant for a teacher to encourage students in learning literature. In order to get students’ attention in class and enjoy learning literature, teacher should carry out activities that are fun and interesting. In conclusion, I gain a lot from my friends’ simulated teaching as it reminds me what should I do and what I should not do when teaching in class.

0 comments: