I Have Learning Something……….
Learning the development of theatre has helped me to get a better understanding of theatre. First, I learned about what is meant by tragedy and comedy. After reading some of the plays, I realized that it is easy to identify a tragic play than a play which is a comedy. It is because a tragic play can identify through an action. For example, in Oedipus the King, Oedipus has blinded himself due to his guiltiness of killing his father. This involves actions in the play and creates emotions of the readers. Furthermore, reader can easily identify their action if it is a tragic event even if they do not really comprehend the whole play.Besides that, it also arouses emotion of the reader where the reader feel sad about the event that has happened.
Unlike a comedy, I need to really understand the language of the whole play in order to get the jokes of the play. I still remember few weeks ago, when Dr Edwin was reading the extract of the play “The Importance of Being Earnest” by Oscar Wilde, he was surprised that we did not get the meaning of the play. After his long explanation of the play, only we can make sense out of the play and laugh at it. This is an ironical situation for me because I feel that actually we should get the jokes out of the play instead of a lecturer explaining the hidden meaning of the play. Consequently, I feel that reading a comedy requires a good command of English.
Through this lesson, something comes into my mind about teaching literature that is the importance of guiding students into the comprehending a literary work. I remembered when we did not understand the extract of the play “The Importance of Being Earnest”, Dr.Edwin tried his best to give us explanation until we got the ideas of the play. As a result,I feel that teacher should enlighten student’s mind with simple language if students face difficulties in understanding a literary work.By that, students can only enjoy the lesson if they understand it well.

0 comments: