It has been three weeks of lecture since my forth semester start. This is the first time I wrote in this online journal. In this journal, I will mainly mention about my reflection in the course of “Teaching the Language of Drama” for the first two weeks.
In the first week of lecture, I was given the course outline. After I looked on the course outline, the mixed feeling came into my mind. I felt tension when I realized that there are two assignments, simulated teaching and e-journal. I began to wonder whether I can do it well for the assignments. It is because I have to read so many plays and also need to do so many assignments. It worries me a lot. On the other hand, I felt excited because this course enables me to read different types of play. Generally, I seldom read play compared to other literary genre. It is a good opportunity for me to learn about plays and how plays take place so that I can introduce to my students in the future.
In the second weeks of lecture, it opens up my mind when I know about the history and types of theatre. I feel that it is interesting to know how theatre changes throughout the time and this is really new to me. Previously, the only playwright that I know is Shakespeare. Now, I get to know many playwrights. Besides that, I also learned about how to identify types of drama. However, I afraid that I could not be able to remember all the facts about drama during the test because there are so many things that I have to learn by heart.
Finally, I still feel glad to be able to learn about plays in this semester. In addition, it broadens my knowledge and I learn to appreciate it. Furthermore, I feel that drama is an interesting activity to be held in the class.


2 comments:

Brian said...

well don't worry about the fact to much just remamber the remamberable and you should do fine.
the test usually won't be asking you to Quote line from the text its more to application of you knowledge if i am not mistaken
well keep up the good work.

nur haiyu ishak said...

I 110% agree with you that this course is quite tough and worriying. This is probably due to the fact that I (or rather us)am very unfamiliar with theatre or drama as this genre is never will be my first choice. I remembered having forced to read a Malay drama during my school years. It was a terrifying memory as reading the texts, though they are in my mother tongue language, never make me understood what the writers want to say. However, having been in this course I, too, consider it as a great opportunity as well as a room for improvement. I believe that this will help me to see the light again, from another perspective of course.

Now, I have started to enjoy theatre. My first lecture on the review to the history and the different types of theatre, has changed my perception towards theatre quite tremendously. I assume this will be a good new start for theatre. Hopefully, this course will help us in understanding theatre as well as developing our various skills in language.