"Antigone" or "Anike" ?
After writing about Creon and Tiresias in the blog previously, I would like to write about the different feelings after reading “Antigone” by Sophocles and “Anike” by Wong Phui Nam. I still remember when I first read about “Antigone”, I can roughly understand the plot of the story but I feel the language is difficult and I need to have some prior knowledge about Greek tragedy before I read this play. In contrast, I feel that reading “Anike” is not as complicated compared to “Antigone”. Even though the plots of the two plays are similar, the context of the language used shows the difference. The use of language in Antigone perhaps is difficult for me to understand once I read it. I need more time to comprehend the language used and what the language indicates. On the other hand, the language used in “Anike” is straightforward and I am familiar with the language used. I feel comfortable when I read “Anike”. I feel that I do not have to struggle much to read the play. In fact, I can comprehend the play better and even faster. Besides that, I enjoyed reading it. I also feel surprised that the author is able to put the characters in the play in local context which is much easier for me to understand. Surprisingly, after reading both the plays, I have the strange feeling that I still prefer “Antigone” the most. I realized that I like the language used in “Antigone” because it is so special and the first time I read Greek mythology. I am amazed with the language used after I am able to comprehend it. In short, I strongly feel that language used in “Antigone” is more powerful and it impressed me a lot.

0 comments: