
"My Fair Lady"
"My Fair Lady" is a film musical which won 8 academy awards, including: Best Picture, Best Director, Best Musical score, Best Cinematography, Best Set Direction, and Best Costumes. It was directed by George Cukor. Screenplay by Alan Jay Lerner - based on George Bernard Shaw's stage play "Pygmalion". It is an interesting movie that I have watched in my life. This movie was introduced by my English tuition teacher when I was in Form five. I never think that I will have a chance to read the play again. Yes, it is extremely meaningful for me to watch the film and now read the play again. It is because I have an idea about what the play is all about. Besides that, this is the first musical film that I have watched in my life. I like the way the film was introduced when the fine musical begins, by showing the audience a London scene from a Victorian England in the 1800's, a meeting place of the very rich and the very poor. The well-to-do of English society were coming out of a theatre where poor women, known as flower girls were selling bouquets of flowers to these theatre patrons. Among these patrons were two distinguished gentleman, a well-known, top notch Professor of Phonetics, Henry Higgins (Rex Harrison), and his good friend, Colonel Pickering (Wilfrid Hyde-White). It is because this scene has enhance me to imagine the setting of the play vividly. While was watching it, I was entertained by the movie at that time. The most memorable line for me is when Mr Higgins says ,"Why can't the English speak English?" I feel surprised over this statement that he said because all this while I have been thinking that all English can speak English well. I was surprised when he mentioned this statement. Surprisingly, when I read the play "Pygmalion", the voice of the actors came into my mind and I can imagine the whole situation of the play. After reading the play only I can understand the musical film better. Thus, the play,'Pygmalion' has enhanced my knowledge in a greater manner. Furthermore, I was impressed by Eliza's determination to learn to speak English. When I was watching the film, I can feel how hard she had tried to learn to speak English. It is really not easy to learn to speak English. She faces lots of difficulties before she can not speak English well. Moreover, I feel that the actors successfully play the roles well in the film. Last but not least, "My Fair Lady" is a good musical film that teachers should introduce to students in class. It is because students can visualise what the plot of the play better after watching the film.
0 comments:
Post a Comment